Jane:

You sound like the kid who refused to do his homework because 'the universe
is expanding'.

Yep, there is all sorts of bad stuff out there, the 'gummint' is into it up
to its armpits, etc, etc.

It is still the case that compost tea can be made well, not so well, and
downright badly. It is less obvious than originally put forward how easy it
is to do it badly.

In trying to tell whether Brinton or Ingham is right about the risk, it is
necessary to look at their arguments and data. The Bess experiments at least
show it is possible to grow E. coli from stuff that looks like compost (and
had passed through the regulatory requirements for 'properly made compost'
as far as process is concerned) in something that looks like a compost tea
brewer, using recommended nutrients at recommended amounts.

>From the regulators POV this means 'compost tea' as an unrestricted practice
is not acceptable. The restriction of no added nutrients first proposed by
the Compost Task Force would eliminate the potential of magnifying foodweb
populations through feeding; the other possibility of requiring testing
either of the compost or the resulting teas preserves that potential, while
imposing other costs.

In my opinion, the NOSB was correct in not accepting unrestricted use of
compost teas. What needs to happen next is to determine what the necessary
safeguards are to permit amplified foodweb culture use for fresh produce
growing.

It is certainly premature to say 'oh of course it is the evil gummint
placing its jackboot on the neck of conscientious compost tea proponents,
whose inherent holiness suppresses all pathogen growth of any kind within a
50 meter radius of their passage through the time space continuum.'

The science of all this is very far from being settled. I find it remarkable
how easily the BD crowd dismisses their own compost scientist's viewpoint
and research on this subject.

It may be time to take a closer look at this, and be a bit more rigorous and
skeptical.

Frank Teuton---true, he doesn't lock his doors, but his garage is full of
savage attack trained watch worms.....which eat E. coli as if it were
candy....