From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Hugh Lovel
Sent: 06 January 2003 15:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BD Farming in America

Dear Kristy, et. al.,

I think what you, Jeff, Allan and others, particularly in Hawaii, Texas,
the midwest and out on the west coast, have done as regards making BD info
available to the public is quite commendable. Also let us not forget the
salubrious efforts of Hugh Courtney, without whom we would have little in
terms of availability of the Steiner remedies, to say nothing of
availability of literature and presence at conferences auch as ACRES.

I do not agree that what Alex Podolinsky has done in Australia is any model
to copy, as he has run a rigid and even hidebound program where those who
venture outside of his box can be excommunicated. But at least he has
created a support system for farmers who want to put BD into practice.

The BDGFAA (Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association of Australia)
arose in response to the need for more openness than Podolinsky allowed,
and it wouldn't do to give Podolinsky full credit for their efforts. They
have really done a lot--perhaps more than Alex--to spread BD in Australia.

Here in the US it has always been my impression--though for a brief period
we did have a national extension agent--that there was no real support for
farmers from the central organization. If anything there was a cult
atmosphere coming from the central offices and I think it discouraged and
turned off people right and left.

In my own case I have let my membership in the BD Association lapse after
25 years of trying to pull biodynamics forward against the inertia,
resistance and cult atmosphere of the central offices. Maybe Greg is being
extreme in his criticism, but when Demeter excommunicated him and
prohibited Victor Landa from using the term "biodynamic" on any products
not certified by Demeter I had my fill of wrongheadedness.

I'm calling what I do Quantum Agriculture and I only use the term
biodynamic in a transitional way. I don't support the BDA or Demeter in any
way at this point. Probably I'm one of those Greg refered to who dropped
out because they cannot stomach the dogmatism, obstructionism and
cultishness any further. I believe I'm pretty thick skinned or I couldn't
have taken it as long as I did. The whole fumble of claiming to be the
focus of the CSA movement and then doing nothing--even terminating the CSA
conferences--was vexation enough and I should have left then. But there
have been enough other blunders, including terminating the national
extension program, that I should have identified the BDA as non-viable long
ago. As far as I'm concerned they are baggage--excess baggage in my case.

I can't see any reason for name calling or getting upset or any of that
jazz. I have noticed that I'm reaching a wider audience with field
broadcasters by calling my work quantum agriculture instead of BD. I
suspect BD has a notorious reputation as being inscrutable, cultish and a
big turn-off to many farmers.  Really most farmers don't understand quantum
mechanics either, but I don't seem to face anything like the rejection of
my message by couching it in those terms. My lecture room at ACRES was full
this time. I seem to be getting further by leaving BD behind. Does that
tell you anything? It's still the same remedies, still the same insights
into how nature works, I still talk about Rudolf Steiner and the whole nine
yards. I just leave the terminology of biodynamic behind. Quite frankly I
think it is just fine that Demeter owns the term. Let them have it. As far
as I'm concerned it was a big lead anchor around my waist.

Best,
Hugh Lovel

Visit our website at: www.unionag.org