Dear Lloyd, Steve and fellow list members,
In Bruce Copen's Agricultural rates there are the rates for soil testing
with Carey Reams techniques. Amongst these rates is one for testing the
vitality of the soil. Vitality of the soil seems to not get coverage on
BDnow.
Maybe one of the reasons is that until I started to research this concept I
had never heard of vitality as being measurable parameter of soil. I write
this in the hope that some of you who have experience of Reams techniques
may be able to enlighten me, or head me in the direction of further areas of
study of his methods.

Lloyd knows our property, red basalt soil, 3200 cgs on average, averages 6%
organic matter, high mineralisation and a dream soil for anyone to start
with. There is only one problem, when you test the soils in our cultivation
paddocks radionically it gives a reading of about 10% vitality, and the same
for fertility. My definition for fertility is the ability of plants grown to
reproduce true to type with maximum viability, which is a true reflection of
the fertility of the soil. In other words they need to have inbuilt vitality
and an inbuilt toughness.
This ties in with other strands which are developing on the list about trace
elements and nutrition, and whether we can claim that food is better if
grown biodynamically. I love my plants and take great delight in growing
plants that have a look of vitality about them.  Although they may appear to
be very vital plants, each year the seed loses some of it's vitality.

My problem then became how do I increase vitality, when within the existing
theories that I had been exposed to, at university and on the list there was
not a lot which I could do with this soil. Most minerals were within
acceptable standards, copper and Sulphur down a bit. The pH has increased
from 5.5 to 6.8 over the last 3 years and is in general a very pleasant soil
to work with.
It appears that the plants may have been living on their inbuilt vitality,
but were not getting much assistance from the soil. There was something
missing. The missing thing was indefinable, however I instinctively knew
that something was wrong, that there was some missing ingredients in the
brew. At first I thought that vitality was being lost from the cultivated
areas into the surrounding forest, on the basis that energy travels from the
lowest to the highest.

In amongst my other radionic broadcasts I put out one for vitality, and
another one for fertility. The results are that now that the drought has
broken, there are no bare patches that were there before. It seems that
there is a vitality that was not there before, even although it appeared to
be as good as any mortal person could hope for.
My question is what is vitality and what enlivens it in the soil.
Regards
James