As part of the Control of Mobile Robotics class offered through Cousera,
the students are building robots based around the BeagleBone Black.  The
robot has 5 infrared distance sensors and 2 reflectance sensors used for
odometry.  These sensors are connected via voltage dividers to pins 33, 35,
36, 37, 38, 39, and 49 of P9, and are powered from the same power supply
used to power the BeagleBone Black.  The System Manual has a rather
explicit warning:

NOTE: DO NOT APPLY VOLTAGE TO ANY I/O PIN WHEN POWER IS NOT SUPPLIED TO THE
BOARD. IT WILL DAMAGE THE PROCESSOR AND VOID THE WARRANTY.
NO PINS ARE TO BE DRIVEN UNTIL AFTER THE SYS_RESET LINE GOES HIGH.

My concern is the current arrangement would allow the sensors to begin
driving the pins before the SYS_RESET line goes high; however, I am a
software guy just starting down the hardware path.  Thus far many in the
class have been using the robot without issue.  Is my concern invalid?

Thank you for your time.