Thanks for the help William.

Yes, I’m running as root.  The Java software (JNA) is extracting the .so
file form the Java jar file(similar to a zip file) and placing it in the
/tmp directory.  Once the file is extracted, it then passes the absolute
path to the Java System.load(<filename>) method … which loads the .so file.
It doesn’t matter that the /tmp won’t persist because JNA deletes the .so
file as soon as it is loaded.  I will try to change the use of the /tmp
directory to something else.

It’s good to know that permissions should not be a problem.