No solution here yet, but I have found some very relevant discussions out
there. Something must have changed with the kernel scheduler that requires
drivers (CAN in our case) to be updated. I copied the BeagleBone kernel
support guru to this post (Robert Nelson). Perhaps he is already aware of
this problem and knows of a work-around. I will post something if/when I
get this figured out. Until then, here are some relevant links.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3537252/how-to-solve-bug-scheduling-while-atomic-swapper-0x00000103-0-cpu0-in-ts
http://e2e.ti.com/support/omap/f/849/t/250383.aspx
https://community.freescale.com/thread/330079