The only reason I know we're using a custom kernel is because our former
Linux guy told me so.  Never recompiled a kernel before but I have a
cursory grasp of what's involved.

Former coworker's linux laptop has a folder named "Robert C Nelson" that
contains what seems to be the custom kernel mod to fix the UART speed
issue.  I'll start poking around in there to see if I can figure it all out.

And yes, that does help.  I do appreciate it, thanks for your patience.