Robert,

I haven't actually written the Ubuntu image to eMMC yet (I have on the
first five BBB's but not on the sixth, I can't get past step 1 on the
sixth).

This is my goal.
1. Get Ubuntu installed on a microSD card.
2. Configure the BBB to boot from the microSD WITHOUT pressing the boot
button every time it boots.

I really don't care what version of Linux is in the eMMC, I just want the
BBB to automatically boot from the microSD card. The BBB will be accessed
and rebooted remotely, without a human present to push the button.

I will look at the links you provided. Will the instructions on the links
you provided help me reach my goal?

Thanks for your help,
Tim