On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:25 AM, mzimmers <mzimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply, Robert. I have a few questions:
>
> any idea how I went wrong? I thought I was following the directions
> faithfully.

It's my guess, you wrote a new image to the 64GB microSDXC.  Following
the directions you edited /boot/uEnv.txt, BUT not knowing the
microSDXC had failed to be detected, thus you edited the eMMC's
/boot/uEnv.txt.. Now it's stuck in a loop..

> I'll try to find a "normal" microSDHC card locally, but I might have to
> order online, which will of course introduce a delay. Is there any harm in
> continuing my use of the card I have?

Well, other then U-Boot/Kernel not detecting the card.

The am335x does not officially support microSDXC cards, so what looks
to have happened.  Some of us tested a few microSDXC cards, when they
first came out a few years ago, and while some worked.  However it
looks like SanDisk dropped that compatibly mode they had used in their
first gen microSDXC cards.

Anywho, all the BBB/am335x doc's clearly state it only supports
"microSDHC" cards (2gb -> 32gb).

background:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDXC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Ultra_High_Speed_.28UHS.29_bus

> In some of my readings yesterday, I read that I'm supposed to uncomment the
> final line of the /boot/uEnv.txt file on the microSD card. Elsewhere,
> however, I read information that claimed otherwise. Can you render judgment
> on this?

The doc says:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Flashing_eMMC

> I notice the link you gave for the image is from the testing area. On a
> scale of 1 to 10,000,000, how stable is this image?

Wrong Scale for this situation. ;)

On a scale of, currently not usable -> usable... that image is usable..

After you flash the recover, you can flash any image you want..

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYiDF7hWBBcy9vM%2BbDkN-_-g24eHYCtAvi%2Bmsgh-9G42fw%40mail.gmail.com.