I specifically moved from ledger to beancount because:

   1. Strictly defined directives, currencies and accounts
   2. Python, and ability to easily extend with python
   3. Currency restrictions and currency related stuff
   4. Fava

Another bonus was that it's simple to install with just pip.

I would prefer not needing to spin up a docker container and hassle with
making it communicate over my network with other apps/plugins that might use
it's API. It's an incredible barrier to entry for the non-developer. They
already have to
know how to use pypi and potentially struggle with the python path. Making
them
use docker now would be a bad move imo.

Hopefully this will be distributed as a binary, and simple way to "install"
plugins.

*Disclosure*: I've converted a couple of people from using webapps or
spreadsheets to
use ledger. They love ledger despite some of the nuance. I've been trying
to move them
over to beancount, but having a bit harder time because of the python
dependency.
Fava and being able to run it locally has been a great driver to have
people at least consider
installing python and giving beancount a test run.

I do hope with this update that distributing/installing beancount wouldn't
get more complicated.
We already had to deal with that in the frontend javascript world :D