#which in this case doesn't exist because (we are told)
#it is not used on our present OS (Windows2000).
#
#1) Is there a hack to require the equivalent of a "uid"?
#(so the scripts can be run as usual)
#Since a "uid" seems to be important to the operation of the scripts (being
#required).
#
#2) Can the "require uid" line simply be commented out without causing a
#problem?
#
#
#Here is the response we got from our Server Admin (ISP)
#("Webburner.com") when we told them about the "required uid" problem.
#
# >>>I quote:
#
#Moving to UNIX costs $25 and not sure what a UID is.
#Your script are perl and Windows 2000 supports perl but your scripts may be
#written for UNIX.
#You need to check with the script developer before selecting any script.
#support 02-Jul-2001 10:59:36
#
#End quote<<<
#
#The problem is:
#The e-mail addresses and http addresses
#for most of the script developers of these scripts are no longer valid.
#We like the scripts because of the functionality they afford and we are
#used to them.
#(email no longer valid or web addresses found in scripts no longer valid)
#
#The question is:
#Since the originators of the scripts are no longer able to be contacted;
#does that mean the scripts are in the public domain now and since we
#are learning perl and cgi that we are ethically free to "hack" these
#scripts and
#use them or do we have to trash them and write or look for new scripts to use?
#
#
#Thanks,
#RL
#
#

--
Cindy

Cindy Bennett
Programmer/Analyst
Carroll College
Waukesha, WI 53186
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Beware of desperate steps! The darkest day,
               Live till to-morrow, will have pass'd away.
                                           William Cowper
                                           The Needless Alarm