Jay Savage
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             l.com>                                                     To
                                       beginners-cgi@perl.org
             10/14/2005 11:56                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: implementing links on a system
                                       command output

On 10/14/05, Chris Devers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I have written a CGI Perl program that allows my users to view
> > relevant data.
> >
> > The data is produced by a Unix application command and I have told it
> > to write to a intranet page that looks like:
>
> What it looks like is irrelevant. The raw HTML is a little bit relevant,
> but the really relevant thing is the data that gets sent to the script
> and the results that are expected to be returned from the script.
>
> > What I want to do now is create a link using CGI Perl for each H
> > string that will pull a different data set either on a new page or on
> > the same page embedded.
> >
> > Originally I just created another radio button for the new data set,
> > but there will be 6 different views (6 different strings) and I
> > already have 7 buttons (minus the Tape-Capacity button) and I do not
> > want to "button out" myself or the users.
> >
> > I looked in the CGI Programming with Perl and saw an entry in there on
> > page 269 referencing access.conf and in access.conf you enter a line
> > with
> >
> > Action Tracker /cgi/track.cgi
> >
> > Can anyone help?
>
> I'm sorry, I'm confused by the question.
>
> You seem to want help organizing how data is presented to and retrieved
> from the user of your web application, but then you're asking a CGI list
> how to go about doing advanced Apache web server configuration. How was
> the access.conf suggestion supposed to help solve this problem?
>
> IF the answer to your problem is to start mucking around with Apache
> directives -- and so far I'm not convinced that it is -- then putting
> those directives in access.conf is outdated advice anyway. Modern Apache
> administration tends to have people put everything in httpd.conf so that
> there's one file to look in; some people break things into separate conf
> files that httpd.conf includes, but this generally isn't how it's done
> by people just getting started with Apache administration now.
>
> In any case, it isn't clear to me how this was supposed to solve your
> problem to begin with. What were you hoping would happen if you changed
> the behavior of /cgi/track.cgi in Apache? I think you're better off just
> concentrating on your HTML and CGI code for now, and leave mucking with
> the web server for later.
>
> Reduce the problem to a flow of desired inputs and outputs. The inputs
> are generally going to be forms in plain HTML documents or as generated
> by the output from CGI scripts; the outputs will generally be generated
> from CGI scripts, though in some cases could be static HTML, too. You
> may want to sketch things out on paper rather than just blindly start
> coding things. If some part of the input system is doing too much or is
> too confusing for users or maintainers, then break it apart as needed.
>
> You seem to be asking general systems design questions without giving
> enough material to clarify what the system is doing now or how it is
> [...]

And at the risk of sounding more Chris than Chris on this thread:

What have you tried?
Where did it go wrong?
Where's your code?

I have to say, I'm not getting this either. Is your question about
getting CGI.pm to generate dynamic content based on system command
output? Or is your question simply how to declutter a page full of
radio buttons? Or is your question something else entirely?

Whichever it is, giving some specific code you're having trouble with
will get you a better, more useful answer faster, if only because it
makes what you're trying to do clearer. But then you should really
know that by now.

--jay

ok I apologize for the Apache access.conf file question, my confusion which
is the whole problem.
I have no new code b/c in my CGI book I cannot find anything that would
give me a kickstart on generating code other that using the common <A HREF>
tag.

what I want is exactly what Greg stated:  "me I'd just make  each string
produced into  a clickable link that
would produce another page directly."

Is there an equivalent cgi.pm method to <A HREF>  and if so will someone
write a brief snippet?

thank you,

derek