On Tuesday October 18 2005 10:09 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
snip
>*
>
> Perl'ers,
>
> I tried this solution and it is not working.  There are no errors but the
> output is not displaying the links for every $_ which is H02000 for
> example.
>
> I do not understand what "/path/url.pl?H_String"; is.
> what is the ? before H_string for and why
 when invoking a script via http  say a script called  processSomthing.pl ,
The "?"  symbol tells the  script and webserver that what follows is a name
value ppair of CGI values  , example would be  , say  I've got a script that
im invoking in a url call  "processName.pl" and my url  might be
www.somplace.com/cgi-bin/processName.pl ,  The way I'd pass  values  to it
would be by doing somthing like
www.somplace.com/cgi-bin/processName.pl?first=Fred&last=frakinquacker .

in your case  If you got a script to produce additional output and your trying
to  pass a value you could do somthing like the above. Just one way of many.

> understand that the H_string will be generated from a system command for
> every $_
> and it looks like
>
> sf.H02047 capacty: 189.1G space: 117.7G
>
> Here is my code snippet
>
> sub viewhrtlab
>                         {
>                                 open (ARC, "archiver -v |") or error();
>                                 foreach (<ARC>)
>                                 {
>                                         print "<H3>";
>                                         if (/(?i)fs_heartlab\.1/ ..
> /(?i)fs_lanv1.1/)
>                                         {
>                                                 s<fs_lanv1.1><>;
>                                                 $flag=1;
>                                                 if ($flag==1)
>                                                 {
>                                                         if (/(?i)total
> space available:/)
>                                                         {
>                                                                 print
>                                                         }
>                                                         else {
>                                                                 print
>                                                                 #print
>                                                         }
>                         }

what are you trying to do  with the value in $_  ?
if its  not  a call to  another  cgi program  why  make a link out of it ?

In the example you gave  the result appears to be a <a> tag
with the destination of "sf.H02047 capacty: 189.1G space: 117.7G" , this
would look like

and  might not be what your shooting for.

if your looking to produce a page that  just displays the value of $_ . you
need to  create a new page and  use the value of $_ as the text on that new
page  not  make that text a link to nowhere .

with out more info , I can only guess what your trying to do.

Good luck

Greg