On 18/05/2011 22:33, Rob Coops wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:25 PM, Rob Dixon<rob.di...@gmx.com>  wrote:

On 18/05/2011 21:37, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

A colleague claims that he made no changes, code worked yesterday
and doesn't today.

He is not using OO Perl.

You say later that he uses XML::XPath. That is an object-oriented module.

  I have asked him for a small code snippet that reproduces the error
(I'm sure he is unwilling to show the entire code!).

We have rules requiring the standard use of "use strict" and "use
warnings" in all our Perl scripts.

We use Perl on Windows, Linux and Solaris (all his scripts are
supposed to run without modification on Linux and Windows).

Hi Kenneth.

All of the above may or may not be a proper assessment of your
situation, but it has nothing to do with Perl. My assessment would be
that your manager isn't doing his job, but also that you are bringing a
personal conflict to a Perl list instead of to your manager. He is there
to resolve things like this, and you haven't told him the relevant facts.

    He claims this: "use strict; use warnings; use XML::XPath;"

Until you have evidence otherwise, your colleague is telling the truth.

  Trying to get value for:
$ha = $xPath->findnodes('//job');

You have shown no code for the derivation of $xPath, or the declaration of
$ha.

  Error:
Can't call method "findnodes" on unblessed reference at<file_name>   line
<line_number>.

Why are you hiding<line_number>  from us when we have no code? That
also makes sense with the rest of your mail, which shows that whatever
you have dumped is unblessed.

  Output from Data::Dumper follows:

$VAR1 = {
           'object' =>   [
                       {
                         'objectId' =>   'job-21461',
                         'job' =>   {
                                  'priority' =>   'normal',
                                  'status' =>   'completed',
                                  'outcome' =>   'success',
                                  'jobName' =>
  'DeleteBuilds-200911060000',
                                  'jobId' =>
'21461',
                                  'lastModifiedBy' =>   'admin',
                                  }
                       },

                       {

                         'objectId' =>   'job-21473',
                         'job' =>   {
                                  'priority' =>   'normal',
                                  'status' =>   'completed',
                                  'outcome' =>   'success',
                                  'jobName' =>
  'DeleteBuilds-200911070000',
                                  'jobId' =>   '21473',
                                  'lastModifiedBy' =>   'admin',
                                }
                       },
                       ]
          }

That looks fine, except that all you have printed is a hash of data. It
isn't blessed and so it isn't an object.

Please grow up and ask Perl questions. It looks to me as if you are as
silly as each other. I certainly wouldn't employ either of you.

I also wonder if you 'Kenneth Wolcott' and your friend are the same
person. Since your name sounds English you embarrass me: the vast
majority of Englishmen are far more professional than yourself.

Rob

:-) Guess it is getting late in England as well then :-)

Anyway...

use strict;
use warnings;
use Ec;
use XML::XPath;
use Data::Dumper;

my $ec = Ec->new or die "Can not create Ec object $!\n";
my $xPath;
$xPath = $ec->findObjects('job');
print Dumper($xPath);
#my $ha = $xPath->findnodes('//job');
#print Dumper($ha);

This makes no sense at all....

use strict; # Good no complaints
use warnings; # Good no complaints
use Ec; # What is this a home brew module how is this relevant to the rest
of the code?
use XML::XPath; # XPath module
use Data::Dumper; # My all time favorite module

my $ec = Ec->new or die "Can not create Ec object $!\n"; # Creating a new Ec
object (what ever it might be) and storing this in $ec
my $xPath; # Declaring a variable called $xPath
$xPath = $ec->findObjects('job'); # Using the $ec variable to do something
and storing the returned value in the $xPath variable
print Dumper($xPath); # Dumping the $xPath variable looking at the above it
is a neat looking nested data structure
#my $ha = $xPath->findnodes('//job'); # Hang on a minute, now the $xPath
variable containing that data structure is used as an object and Perl goes
Bleh!!! not all that strange is it?
#print Dumper($ha);

OK, so what happened here guys?

Rob, why did you assume to 'use Ec' when it has never been mentioned
before on this thread? You also seem to have a lot of insight into the
problem before the mess of its declaration. Did you get a private
request for help and shovel it, malformed, into beginners@perl.org?

Ken. All your post looks like is a chance to abuse your colleague. That,
as I said doesn't belong on this list. You should be asking Perl
questions here.

Rob Dixon