Allison,  Check out pages 133 - 135 in Learning Perl (3rd Edition) - the
section "AutoIncrement and Autodecrement" section _ particularly the top of
page 135 has an example for just this very question!   I just read that last
week so it popped right up in my mind.

If you don't have the book, holler back to me off-line and I will type out
the code - it is not too long.

Glenn.