[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a PHP vs. Perl question for a hobby project of mine. Which
> would be the better language to use if I wanted to go out to a
> particular web page and parse the table that's there?  How about if
> each row in the HTML table contains a link to another Web page which
> has information I want to grab? (BTW, the page I'm thinking of is the
> Catalog of Extrasolar Planets by Jean Schneider, at
> http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/catalog.html.)
>
> FYI, I've never done any Web programming.

AFAIK, PHP is a server-side language. What you're describing is a client
application. I don't think you can write general-purpose client applications
using PHP (PHP guys correct me if I'm wrong!). I'm sure PHP can do HTTP
client stuff, but I think you still need to be operating in the server
environment.

Perl has the LWP family of modules for doing HTTP client applications, as
well as various HTML and XML parsing modules that can be used for what
you're describing.