On Wednesday 02 April 2003 08:10, Bob Showalter wrote:
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
| > I have a PHP vs. Perl question for a hobby project of mine. Which
| > would be the better language to use if I wanted to go out to a
| > particular web page and parse the table that's there?  How about if
| > each row in the HTML table contains a link to another Web page which
| > has information I want to grab? (BTW, the page I'm thinking of is the
| > Catalog of Extrasolar Planets by Jean Schneider, at
| > http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/catalog.html.)
| >
| > FYI, I've never done any Web programming.
|
| AFAIK, PHP is a server-side language. What you're describing is a client
| application. I don't think you can write general-purpose client
| applications using PHP (PHP guys correct me if I'm wrong!). I'm sure PHP
| can do HTTP client stuff, but I think you still need to be operating in the
| server environment.

Nope.  Actually, PHP can do both now.  Before it was somewhat difficult to
do...and even now it is a bit kludgy but it is absolutely possible.  I am
currently involved in a project that uses PHP for both web and non-web (CLI)
related activitiy.

I do have to admit that PHP's build is ridiculously difficult compared to
Perl.

--

- Jim