Paul Kraus wrote:

> My company uses outlook.
> Every other public forum I write to is all done  like this.
> Outlook defaults to this.

...and Microsoft has all our best interests at heart?

> You would think that the world was going to end because somebody was
> upset they didn't get to scroll through 500 posts.

You are missing the point here.It is your responsibility to reply
consciously.  Leaving entire posts at the bottom of your replies is not
responsible.  Instead, the custom on this list is to leave only the relavant
portions of the original post in your reply, and to reply inline.

I agree that the debate can get Lilliputian.  In my view, as long as the
sequencing is consitent, it works pretty well either way.  On this list,
though I have noticed that the top-posters are also the ones who tend to
consistently break established flow, leaving me as a reader to scroll up and
down to follow the development of a discussion.

As for the full text of original or earlier posts--well, anybody who is
truly engaged in a discussion can hang onto their received messages.  Any
good mailer should allow dragging to specific folders for specific groups or
topics.  A good mailer should also provide a hierarchical thread view, which
can also make for more cogent tracking of discussions.  There is no good
reason for text not immediately relavant to any post to just ride along.

Joseph