Robert Brown wrote:
Andrew Gaffney writes:
> zentara wrote:
> > Well, gifs were shunned by alot of the software writers because of
> > the old patent issues. So your best bet will be to make your image as
> > a jpg or png, then convert it to gif afterwards.
> > Is PNG a good format for a 51x20 image with 4 or 5 colors?
> > > If you want to make an animated gif, you can
> > use something like this:
> > system("gifsicle -lforever $graphical*.gif > $graphical.anim.gif")
> > I've used gifsicle before to make animated GIFs. That was a nifty little program.

Is there any alternative to gifs to make animated images?  Flash is
proprietary to macromedia, and gif to Unisys.  Is there such a thing
as an animated png?  How about a free (in the GPL sense) open sourced
alternative to Flash?

Well, it isn't impossible, though it is inconvenient, to make multiple images and switch through them with JavaScript...