It seems the breeder would like you to have some information and contact.
I would say this is not common amongst Berner breeders; particularly with
the open registry (Berner-garde.)  We should all be supporting this- as the
more dogs that can be listed in the data base the more we know about the
breed as a whole.  Even neutered dogs get cancer, so we ought to know what
we are producing regardless of whether an individual dog is to be bred or
not.
Even micro-chip information should be linked to you should the dog be
found...  (you can have that scanned; and then call with the information- IF
it is registered someplace- (some people I have come to find out have the
dogs chipped, but never send in the paper work, making the chip useless!)
perhaps then you will be contacted by the breeder (if they were the ones who
chipped the dog) hopefully opening up some communication.  It's fun to check
out the berner-garde data base and see who is who and who is related too
whom too.  There are also some pictures which can give you a sense of
"type."
I don't know who the breeder is- but perhaps check with the regional club
she may be a member of and see if her health is ok etc... we have a lot
going on , and sometimes I ignore the computer for weeks at a time, so I
know it can take me weeks to respond to emails...
We can't all breed perfect dogs all the time- or have all perfect dogs in
every litter, try as we may! we can only do our best and take precautions to
ensure such- and hope our best fulfills our expectations.  Hopefully, the
breeder should not feel that because this dog had less then perfect hips,
the breeding should remain anonymous.  It is obvious they are a caring
conscientious breeder, or would not have taken the dog back in the first
place, nor had the dog
x-rayed prior to breeding/showing, themselves...
just my 2 cents.
Good Luck.
~Rebecca (owned by Bernese since 1989)
Canine-Corner "from hair to heel"
Grooming & Training
Red Hook, NY
<www.canine-cornerbmd.com>
and/or
Mid-Hudson Kennel Association, Ltd.
Referral Chair/Instructor
<http://www.wiltwyck.com/mhka/index.htm>

"A DOG IS THE ONLY RELATIVE YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHOOSE SO CHOOSE
WISELY!"