From: Duleep Thilakarathne [mailto:dule...@mobitel.lk]
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2015 9:31 AM
To: Robert Raszuk
Cc: UTTARO, JAMES; bess@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [bess] BGP route selection criteria - geographic distance when
AS_PATH are equal

Hi Raszuk,

Question 1: How does the router know about user's high latency ?

Actually I am referring ISP edge router to another ISP edge router delay due to
transmission distance.
[Jim U>] The underlying facility and it’s representative transmission distance
will most likely differ from geographical distance. Which do you want to
address? To Robert’s point you still need to acquire that knowledge and it may
be orthogonal to an attribute that is defined as delay.

Question 2: How do you assure Internet stability where you start churning paths
based on the latency of data plane ?

It is not required to consider stability in this situation since it is
unavoidable. What is refer is, router need to select best outgoing path
considering physical distance whenever possible when AS-PATH length is equal.
If router selects long distance path randomly, it impacts to latency.

Question 3: What you are after has effectively been solved many years ago .. it
is called Optimized Edge Routing (OER) / Performance Routing (PFR) - I suggest
you google for those terms.

Thank for the suggestion. I gone through these proposals. But what I am
suggesting is  whether we can address this idea from BGP protocol level. For
example by introducing new attribute related to physical distance/delay similar
to AS-PATH. New attribute need to update across the As path. My ultimate
objective is to prevent router randomly select outgoing path when AS-PATH
lengths are  equal. Further I am trying SDN based simulation these days. Hope I
can share output. But this could similar to what you have proposed except geo
distance calculation mechanism.

Refer below standard BGP route selection criteria. I suggest item 5. Wordings
may different from vendor to vendor.

1. Discarding the routes with the unreachable Next_Hop.

2. Preferring the route with the highest Local_Pref.

3. Preferring the aggregated route. The preference of an aggregated route is
higher than the preference of a non-aggregated route.

4. Preferring the route with the shortest AS-Path.

5. If AS-Path finds equal, consider shortest GEO distance. If still distance is
same follow next steps.

6. Comparing the Origin attribute and selecting the routes with the Origin
attribute as IGP, EGP, or Incomplete in order.

Regsrds
Duleept