MAGIC!

I did the same "hard reset and hold brightness for about 15 seconds
waiting for the SB to freeze (I can tell when it freezes because the
little animation stops)" for the tenth or twelfth time - yet this time,
it WORKED!

The one difference that I can think of was that, after looking at the
log I saw that the SqueezeNetwork login info was wrong. I fixed that,
though I can't believe that would be related though it's the only thing
that changed between this working attempt and the previous non-working
attempt.

So, something's definitely amiss. Hopefully my logs will help.

--
orangechicken