> disadvantage would be requiring the user to restart the server should
> they not want iTunes or MusicIP integration.

No need to do so: we didn't disable the plugins before neither. We only
disabled integration.

> What's the push for doing this - that it would be more cross-platform?

Ease of use, out of the box experience etc. We've seen a lot of new users
struggle with the number of questions asked during an initial setup (product,
SN subscription, SC installation & configuration). We'd like them to have the
quickest and smoothest setup possible. Rather have them play music within 15
minutes, with some steps postponed, than let them struggle 2hrs until all and
everything is configured.

--

Michael