>here's what freedb says about comps btw:
>
>> *6. When submitting a sampler or compilation, you should include the
>> track-artist in the track-name, using the syntax "artist / track-title"
>> and set the CD-artist to "Various"*
>
>now, i don't see anything there or on their site about TPE2, but
>obviously they intend to mismatch TPE1 on comps.

No, they are not saying that at all.  They don't mention album artist, band or
TPE2 at all.  i.e. This backs up what I keep saying, and which is my
experience, that tagging sources do not set album artist, and tend to use
totally different frigs to bypass the whole issue, such that it is not an issue.

What (6) means is that there is no compilation tag submission, and that for
each song the track artist should appear in the song title, and the artist name
set to "Various".  That is horrid.

>so what you said about gracenote was wrong at least vis a vis winamp
No, I was not wrong about Gracenote; their website has a search facility.  I
looked up the data for an album.

We're off topic - I'm not going to respond to your other thread comments here.
I'm happy to move to discuss if you want to continue.

Phil