nicolas75;654970 Wrote:
> Do you have more information about that ?
> I didn't really searched about this possibility.
> I am not aware of any existing possibility to get rid of SBS, nor
> TinySBS scan (which is always automatic, which makes it almost unusable
> for me).
>
> Where can I find those protocol specifications ?

The documentation isn't completely accurate but the basic information
are here:
- Older Squeezebox models (Classic, Boom, Transporter, Receiver):
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SlimProtoTCPProtocol
- Newer Squeezebox models (Controller, Radio, Touch): Not that well
documented, there are some information here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SBS_SqueezePlay_interface
-- It's also possible to enable networking.cometd debug logging in SBS
Settings/Advanced/Logging to see the messages sent and received
-- There are some generic documentation here:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.6/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/doc/html/index.html?revision=HEAD&view=co
-- And some more information about the menu protocol here (save it and
open in browser):
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.6/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/doc/html/jiveMLON.html

ScottM also started to do some documentation in the following thread,
so that's probably worth a read and maybe worth contacting him if you
like more information:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86418

There are a couple of third party servers:
- ScrawnyServer: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73646
- Dwite: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=88922
- Squeezed: http://code.google.com/p/squeezed/

And there are a number of third party players like:
- iPeng and SqueezePad for iOS (closed source, but the developers can
probably help answering questions)
- Squeeze Player for Android (closed source, but the developer can
probably help answering questions)
- SoftSqueeze: http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/
- SqueezePlay: The firmware of the new Squeezebox models:

nicolas75;654970 Wrote:

> Would they allow to develop some internal client in TinySBS, allowing
> to access third party server or music software, without any TinySBS
> scan ?

If you are talking about Squeezebox Touch (or possibly Radio or
Controller) this is definitely possible.

As I look at it, there are two ways to do it:

1. Implement a third party lua Applet which can be installed through
the Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer menu. Will typically be exposed
as a new top level menu on the device I guess.

or

2. Patch any binaries or source code and do whatever you like. The
SqueezeOS based players (Controller, Radio, Touch) is completely
hackable, so you can login as root and do whatever you like. Also, most
of the SqueezePlay/SqueezeOS source code is open source, so you are
officially allowed to modify and redistribute your changes, there are a
few exceptions regarding artwork(icons/logos) and some of the drivers
which only can be modified and redistributed by Logitech, but
everything you see on the screen can be changed without permission by
Logitech.

For what you describe, it sounds like alternative 1 would be the best
option. As an example, you can implement a UPnP client that
communicates with the UPnP server of your choice instead of using the
built-in TinySBS or the full SBS on a computer. There are some
information available about how to make third party applets here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezePlay_Applet_Developing_Guide
But if this is something you like to do, don't be afraid to ask
specific questions in the "Developers" section of the forum and those
of use who have knowledge in the area will try to answer as good as we
can.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))