JJZolx wrote:
> Ok, but I want to run them at the same time (as well as 7.6 and 7.5, but
> I can run them from their old SVN checkouts, if necessary). Is that
> possible from one clone?I assume you're not talking about running
> *-simultaneous instances-* of
LMS/SBS on the same machine -- which, if you are, would require some
pretty footwork as far as I know.

This is how I switch from 7.7 to 7.8 on my headless Ubuntu server 12.04
regular 'production' server:  I ssh into the server from my windows box
and issue the single command:

# sudo service lms switch-branch '7.8'

Within 30 seconds, lms 7.7 has stopped, 7.8 has been checked out, the
script has updated several symbolic directory links, restarted the lms
service and I have branch 7.8 up and running and playing music.  One
command and 30 seconds -- that's all there is to it.  I'm more than
happy to share my service control script and I'm very confident you can
accomplish exactly the same thing on windows with a batch file run as
administrator.  You could create shortcuts to the batch file so
switching branches is as simple as a double-click with the mouse.

Or check out a branch and then copy it to a separate location.  Either
method works.

With my setup, I have a cron job that updates the local repo (and thus,
ALL the branches) weekly.  It fired off automatically last night,
performed a 'git pull' and made this change:

Code:
--------------------
    [12-07-31 02:05:10.4637] spc-update.sh (23558) git pull
/usr/share/lms/server
  Updating ff5bb05..2f11d0a
  Fast-forward
  Slim/Player/Squeezebox2.pm |    5 ++++-

--------------------
That pulled in the changes Andy made 4 days ago to fix MOG playback
halts in Australia, apparently.  I could easily adjust my cron job so
that it 'git pull'ed daily rather than weekly.  But with the current
pace of change in the code, weekly seems more than sufficient.

So, I do think there are benefits to just having a single local repo
with (by implication) a single branch checked out at any given time: the
house keeping is a lot simpler.

JJZolx wrote:
> I don't care if it's 901 MB in size. I already do keep separate cache,
> prefs and log directories for each instance of the server that I run.
> Can the checkouts be to different locations, or is that not the way it's
> done?
>
> I'm still unclear about what is actually being pulled down when
> cloning.
>
> - 'git clone -n --depth 1' is 88 MB
> - 'git clone' is 901 MB
> - you mention 252 MB
I cloned the git repository back in May and at that time, a --depth 1
clone yielded a local repo with a .git directory tree of about 252mb.  I
don't know if anything has changed in the mean time that would alter
that.  I wouldn't think so.  To be on the safe side, I would suggest
re-cloning the repo but, this time, make the destination a path that
doesn't include any spaces.  I.e. something like D:\LMSRepo\server.

My whole LMS directory tree, including the 7.8 checked out branch and
the .git directory weighs in at 584mb.