I also like the icons very much. The first line in the properties window
also contains purely informative icons, they don't provide user
interaction. This works great so i wouldn't call it inconsistent to use
icons in the header.
In my opinion icons are very well suited to give information, as the
saying  goes: 'A picture is worth a thousand words'.
And considering the overwhelming positive response this idea has gotten,
which is  quite rare because UI tweaks are always highly subjective, i
think this is worth a second look.

Wolter