On Jun 22, 2007, at 08:26, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>> I mainly have PDF files, with the odd HTML/PostScript/TIFF, all
>> managed with BibDesk's AutoFile.  They're linked to references in
>> BibDesk, since I'd go nuts using more than one program for the same
>> task. One plus for BibDesk: it doesn't care what file format you
>> attach, and you can search the contents of the attached files as well
>> as the reference metadata.  You can also associate multiple files
>> with
>> a single reference.
>
> I didn't know that this feature exists…cool…

Aaargh!  I'm half convinced that people write new apps for reference/
PDF management because they don't know BibDesk can do this.  How can
we advertise it more effectively?  I've been using it for years, and
just assume that others use it as well.

>>> me to do a fast search on them (Genre: Papers; Artist: Author-Name;
>>> Title: Paper-name; Comments: Keywords) and they are organized in one
>>> place (iTunes-Music-library) which gets backed up regularly.
>>
>> I'm guessing it doesn't allow you to search by content, though?  It
>> really depends on what you need.
>
> Most of the "interesting" stuff is non-OCR-JSTOR-stuff anyway -- I
> gave up the illusion to search the content of my pdfs (and stuff in
> iTunes can be handled by Spotlight). Some kind of tagging and not
> thinking about the managing in the file-system is more important to
> me.

True.  The disadvantage of Spotlight is that you can't limit the scope
of its search easily.  Regardless, I gave up organizing by hand in the
Finder, and now all searching is handled by BibDesk (metadata and
content).

--
Adam