On 7 Oct 2007, at 11:56 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> The topic of word processor integration comes up periodically, and I'd
> also like to see more integration with word processor-type programs.
> However, if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride ;).
>
> I explored Mellel integration at one point, but I personally can't
> justify a license for Mellel to work on it, or the time it would
> require.  If anyone is interested, I can share the Mellel SDK and some
> correspondence with its developers, and you can have your own
> subversion branch to play with.  Join the developers list and we'll
> help you get started; that's how I learned Objective-C and Cocoa.
>
> Note also that Pages's XML format is documented, so in theory you
> could scan a pages document and insert citations at the appropriate
> places.  Tom Counsell's ruby script does this, for instance.
>
> Maybe someone (not me!) could be persuaded to work on this via a
> grant?  Anyone interested in pursuing that?  I'd guesstimate 120 hours
> full time for someone familiar with Cocoa in general, maybe 80 for
> someone familiar with BibDesk itself; those figures are strongly
> dependent on the desired feature set.  For my organization, that might
> translate to $12-18K at the low end, so students are probably a better
> bet for this.
>
> regards,
> Adam

Just curious (as I'm not intending to work on this either). But what
exactly would be needed to be done for integration with Mellel? I
personally think that most of the required hard work (i.e. everything
that requires detailed knowledge of Mellel's proprietary file format)
would be the responsibility of Mellel, not a reference manager. Also
as they already support different citation managers, and it's stupid
to let each one redo that job. While the Mellel developers kbnow
thier format, so with their existing code that job would be
infinitely easier. From that POV, I would say BibDesk already has
almost all that is needed.