On 10/18/07, Adam R. Maxwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 06:14, Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
> > Just curious (as I'm not intending to work on this either). But what
> > exactly would be needed to be done for integration with Mellel? I
> > personally think that most of the required hard work (i.e. everything
> > that requires detailed knowledge of Mellel's proprietary file format)
> > would be the responsibility of Mellel, not a reference manager. Also
> > as they already support different citation managers, and it's stupid
> > to let each one redo that job. While the Mellel developers kbnow
> > thier format, so with their existing code that job would be
> > infinitely easier. From that POV, I would say BibDesk already has
> > almost all that is needed.
>
>  From their response to me (below) and my vague recollection, I gather
> that BibDesk is responsible for accepting a list of temp citations
> (correspond loosely to cite keys), then producing a formatted
> bibliography as RTF that is passed back via Apple Events. If they used
> a DO API, I'd have done this for fun...but the Apple Event stuff is
> hairy.

There's a mildly non-hairy (wispy moustache?) way to get at Apple
Events, if you're interested -

Registering handlers for them and getting their data is really easy in
Cocoa using NSAppleEventManager/Descriptor. I did this for the
NetNewsWire "Post to blog" apple event in Blapp:
http://blapp.cvs.sourceforge.net/blapp/blapp/DirectoryWinController.m?r1=1.23&r2=1.24

Sending is a little more confusing from the docs, since you can't use
NSAppleEventManager to send, but it turns out that
NSAppleEventDescriptors can be sent using AESend() - it's almost like
the Carbon-Cocoa bridge:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/applescript-implementors/2006/Mar/msg00024.html

Not bad, as long as the Mellel interface isn't too complicated.

So if anyone (not me, I should be writing python or f90 now) wants to
have at it, that should be a good start.

Cheers,
-mike

> >> I guess my most basic question is this: what information would
> >> Mellel provide to BibDesk, and what does it expect in return?
> >
> > The usual workflow is this:
> > a. The user inserts citations by going to the bibliography
> > application, finding the citations and then dragging them or
> > pressing a button (depending on the bibliography application). The
> > inserted citations are called "temp citations" and are usually
> > formatted for the convenience of the bibliography database
> > (containing a unique ID, full details etc)
> > b. When the user wants to produce the final manuscript, he presses
> > the scan button and the following happens (communication is done via
> > Apple Events)
> >       1. Mellel scans the document and collects the "temp
> > citations" (unformatted citations)
> >       2. Mellel passes these to the bibliography application
> >       3. The bibliography application formats the citations and generates
> > the bibliography and passes them back to Mellel
> >       4. Mellel integrates the new citations+bibliography in the document.

Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate
research: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~mmccrack/
misc: http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/