On 24 Jan 2009, at 6:48 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Robert Sloan wrote:
>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>> Now can I suggest some clean up of the Preferences themselves? The
>> place to change the default PDF viewer should not be under a Data
>> Preference labeled "Fields".
>
> Has the name of the icon changed?  It's called "Defaults" in the
> version I'm using.

It's called "Default Fields Preferences", with short version "Fields".
I changed that a while ago because "Defaults" is really non-
descriptive and the preferences where all about field names and types.
This also was true for this particular preference, because it was a
preference that determined how a local file field was opened.

>> It's sort of borderline whether this is an Application preference or
>> data preference at all,
>
> No, it's a system preference and doesn't belong in BibDesk at
> all...but I lost that argument :).

>> but the current place is really obscure, and
>> with 12 different preference panes, things really need to be in one
>> of
>> the first 3 places one would look for it.
>
> Note that typing "PDF" in the preference search field would have
> given you 4 locations, and "viewer" would have shown you the correct
> one.
>
>> General or Preview under App preferences?

Definitely not Preview, as that's for the TeX Preview only. If you
think Preview does not send that message, you'd have a point, and
perhaps it should be renamed.

>> Separate Data Preference? Under Files in Data Preference?
>
> General is likely more appropriate, but it already has too many items.
>
> --
> Adam

I don't like it in General, if not just because it's not a primary
preference. Personally, I would rather side with Adam and remove it
all together than moving it to the General preferences. As it's really
an advanced preference that arguable should not be there at all,
there's a strong case to make it hidden.

As an aside, the email format pref could perhaps better be moved to
Citation?