On 05/08/09 10:14, "Gregory Jefferis" <jeffe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That should be the opposite, the old parser uses the abbreviation and the
>>> new
>>> parser uses the full title.

>>> I saw the following log message, so apparently we decided for the
>>> abbreviation
>>> before:
>>>
>>> r13969 | hofman | 2009-01-07 22:46:52 +0100 (Wed, 07 Jan 2009) | 1 line
>>>
>>> use pubmed TA for Journal, as that usually contains a more appropriate value
>>
>> I used the full title from XML because "Applied and environmental
>> microbiology" has more information than TA = "Appl Environ Microbiol".
>> Maybe this is yet another bizarro requirement from the bio world (or bio
>> requirement from bizzaro world?) :).
>
> Yes I know, I know.  The problem is that the full title can look like this
> (for one of the standard journals in my field).
>
> Full: The Journal of Neuroscience : The Official Journal of The Society For
> Neuroscience
> MedlineTA: J Neurosci
>
> I've committed a patch to use MedlineTA where available (there could be a
> few records that don't have it (in progress, non-medline)).

I changed this to save the full title in "Journal-Full" when TA is used,
instead of just overwriting it; the Medline parser should have been saving
it as well (with a two-letter tag as field name).  Pick another name if it
makes sense.

I also disabled titlecasing by default, since it looks like PubMed uses a
consistent system for that.  It's mainly a hack to fix up ALL CAPS TITLES
that ISI uses.