On Apr 29, 2011, at 06:37 , kbostroem wrote:

>> In contrast with TeXShop, whose PDF viewer is built in, BibDesk relies on
>> an external program, and changing the preference for it in BD would take
>> over a system function.
>>
> Yes but who cares? That's typical for the difference between developers and
> ordinary users. Ordinary users just want the software to simplify their
> workflow in a logical and transparent manner.

IIRC my complaint with the preference is that it violates the principle of
least surprise.  For example, you have icons for Preview.app that open with
Skim when double-clicked, and this is an inconsistency.  This is less of an
issue these days if you only show Quick Look icons, at least in the case of PDF
files.  Consistency is best for "ordinary users," and we've seen that time and
again (especially when an ordinary user forgets what obscure preference he set
a couple years ago, and now can't figure out why the software is screwed up).

Here's another point: BibDesk allows files of /any/ type as an attachment.
Should we also have a preference for .doc, .docx, .jpg, .png, .rtf, .rtfd, .ps,
.eps, .dvi...?  There's a reason the system handles this for us, and it makes a
lot of sense.

Apart from the preference you are griping about, there are numerous ways to
open files with another application from BibDesk.  You can use the context
menu, you can drag the icon to some application in your dock, or likely even
write an AppleScript to open the file.