On Apr 29, 2011, at 12:43 PM, Maxwell, Adam R wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2011, at 09:21, kbostroem wrote:
>
>>> Here's another point: BibDesk allows files of /any/ type as an attachment.
>>> Should we also have a preference for .doc, .docx, .jpg, .png, .rtf, .rtfd,
>>> .ps, .eps, .dvi...?  There's a reason the system handles this for us, and
>>> it makes a lot of sense.
>>>
>> I somehow expected an argument like this. It's a purist point of view.
>> (Developers tend to be purist, in my experience.)
>
> Perhaps.  I'd rather argue that you have no idea what "normal" or
> "ordinary" users do (or may do in future), so let's dispense with this
> "purist developer" vs. "ordinary user" crap.

I agree with Adam that this is a little unfair. The developer has to try to
make the work flows in the app as intuitive as possible for the purposes the
app is designed for. It's very hard to figure out what that work flow is. It's
part deduction, part social science experiment. Perhaps there are developers
that are more and less purist when it comes to coding practice, but I think
that with regard to user experience and the utility of the app, good developers
want to know what the ordinary user is likely to find most natural when
carrying out tasks of the sort the app is made for.

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--
z_california...@shiftingbalance.org