Brian did an excellent post raising the host of issues we face with the emergence of e-bikes. I've been following this as bicycle representative on the Wisconsin Nonmotorized Recreation and Transportation Trails Council. The hacking Brian refers to is known in the e-bike world as "chipping" - use of add-on computer chip devices currently available on the Internet to boost the speeds of e-bikes. So, even though the bike may have a sticker applied by the manufacturer as to wattage or top speed, that sticker does not necessarily represent the limits of the bike because those limits can be easily increased. Given human nature they will.

    The DNR has through administrative rules legalized e-bikes on state trails with a speed limit of 15 mph. The action was taken without consultation with our council, which is mandated by state law. That failure is a legal issue in DNR's development of a master plan for the Sauk Prairie Recreation area (old Badger Army Ammunition Plant), where DNR has proposed to allow use of motorcycles on mountain bike and equestrian trails during certain periods, effectively excluding the users for which those trails were designed. I was a witness for the Sauk Prairie Conservation Alliance in its challenge of how the DNR has handled the master plan. The contested case is expected to produce an administrative judge's report perhaps by August and DNR will have to react. Stay tuned.

    That aside, I did ask the DNR property manager for our district, John Arthur, how DNR planned to enforce the 15 mph speed limit. His response: "We have radar certified people." Fine, but they have an important safety function dealing with vehicles on park roads. A whole other issue. DNR's not going to have wardens hiding behind bushes recording bicycle speeds at speed traps on trails at the expense of enforcement in state parks where the safety of park users is paramount. That scenario is ludicrous.

        Bill Hauda