John has a super-valid point. Though I do see the advantages and
contributions that e-bikes have made to society and I believe they have a
place, it is also true that a huge number of people effectively use them as
motorcycles. What's more is that, as is now being found out in Europe
(indicated by a dog-walking acquaintance from Finland), the fundamental
problems with E-bikes is that they readily enable folks to operate with
very high speeds in the absence of bike handling skills. That is to say
that, unlike a human-powered bike where the skills involved in attaining
high speeds generally requires commensurate bike handling skills, E-bikes
enable one to quickly obtain high speeds with little to no bike handling
skills.

Don't kid yourselves, someone is definitely going to get hurt unnecessarily
riding an E-bike on the bike trail, maybe not fatally, but seriously. Just
hoping they don't take anybody else down with them. Oh - also - forgot,
this logic is also underscored by the fact that many E-bikes are
tremendously heavy - lots of momentum to deal with.