On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:00:07AM +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> Is it possible to use Binc IMAP over ssh?

In theory, yes.

> I guess really the question is can a user manually run a Binc IMAP
> daemon on the terminal. If so then it should work over ssh as well.

Yes. But the problem is that bincimap-up passes lots of state to
bincimapd through the use of environment variables. In 1.2 these are
encoded in a "proprietary" way. In 1.3 not as much so IIRC. But
they still need to be set for bincimapd to run properly. No
bincimap-cwdup exists, but I think it would be a neat addition to
Binc.

> As an example, Evolution lets you configure a 'Custom command to
> connect to server' and the example is:
>
>   ssh -C -l %u %h exec /usr/sbin/imapd
>
> This should let me use imap securely over SSH without needing to
> input my password. I already have it working over imaps but tire of
> entering my password each time I start evo. Also it would mean I
> could access mail remotely (I don't expose imap/s externally).

I think the best way to get this working is to add support for
running Binc from a shell, as you wrote. A clone of bincimap-up is
required to do this presently, but it doesn't need any authentication
and it can just set everything up, then exec() bincimapd, so zero
footprint too. I think it's a cool idea.

> I've tried a whole bunch of variations of the above command running
> bincimapd and bincimap-up and nothing I've tried works. If it is
> possible, what command should I use?

Right, you're missing the environment that bincimap-up sets up for
bincimapd. I'll take a quick look at the code and see if I can hack
something up.

//Peter