On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:13:41PM +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> Unfortunately my original plan was to make use of the fact that ssh
> logs in without passwords (using the agent) in order to save me
> entering my email password every time (or saving it in evolution,
> which I'm not prepared to do). I had some notion that if I could
> get binc automatically logged in over ssh then evolution would just
> work.

If evolution can speak IMAP to a proxycommand I have a solution for
you.

> So the only way round that seems to be hack up a bincimap-up which
> does fake authentication in the case that the correct user is
> already running it, then storing a fake password in evolution. Task
> for another day...

No reason to make it all that complicated. Just put this script
somewhere on the server and tell evolution to run this proxycommand:

ssh -T [EMAIL PROTECTED] silly.sh

--8<-- silly.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo -e '* OK silly script\r'
IFS=' '
read x y
export BINCIMAP_LOGIN=LOGIN+"${x}"
cd ~/Maildir
exec bincimapd
-->8--

It should work just fine. To test interactively, again add fixcrio to
the beginning of the ssh command.

//Peter