Peter Peltonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There is no documentation or FAQ at http://blacboxwm.sourceforge.net.

That should be changed, true.  Nonetheless,
http://www.google.com/search?q=blackbox+faq leads right to the FAQ.

> Let's try the man pages. It does not say anything about changing just
> the background image, but it talks a bit about styles. So maybe I have
> to edit a style and change it's background?

See, you're on the right track.  You can change the background any time
you like, but if you want to have a specific background with the way
your toolbar, menu etc. look like, you need a style.

> I tried to creating a new
> style at ~/.blackbox/Styles, but that did now show up in my menu.

Why not ~/.blackbox/MyStyle or ~/.blackbox/STYLENAME or ~/.foo/bar ?
Or, in other words, what made you think that ~/.blackbox/Styles would be
the correct place?  The man-page mentions this directory only when it
talks about things that go _wrong_.

> Did this go as intentend? I hope not, as it is not very convient if one
> must have root access to change the desktop background... And I wouldn't
> say that a linux newbie would achieve this task with RTFM instructions
> quite easily. Or maybe I have missed some docs or something here...?

I think you missed Google.

You did not seem to know what you wanted to begin with.  Or at least,
you didn't clearly communicate what you wanted.  You were talking about
a login-manager and .xinitrc, when in fact you wanted to know how to
permanently set the background _after_ you were logged in.

In the process, you learned about styles and how they set the
background.  Now you could go on and learn how to use styles without
root-access.  Hint:  look in your ~/.blackboxrc and see what the
man-page says about it.

-Jan

--
"Saying Windows 2000 is the most powerful OS in the Microsoft family is
like saying Moe was the smart Stooge."  --Kevin Barkes