>On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:23:11 +0100
>"Armin K." <kre...@email.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/04/2014 08:19 PM, Igor Živković wrote:
> > On 02/04/2014 08:03 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> >>
> >> "Now, in Unix system design, it is a generally understood
> >> principle that a big task not be handled by a big program, but
> >> rather a collection of small programs, each tackling one specific,
> >> well-defined component of the larger task.

With one notable exception to the rule. In the case where writing
several small daemons is significantly more difficult than writing a
single large deamon, it is advantageous and permitted to write the
large daemon.

Typical case is when the smaller daemons would step on each others
toes, thus requiring some sort of synchronization which would then
defeat the purpose of having small (and by implication mutually
independent) programs. As an example, one such case is system logging.

The "write programs that do one thing and do it well" is mostly in the
context of the pipeline and the command line interface. In general, it
does not always mesh good with system deamons.

> > This is probably the reason for systemd animosity. Consumers can
> > have GNOME, systemd, PulseAudio and such, just don't take away the
> > option not to use it from the rest of us.
>
> While I do fully agree with you, I do think that developers today
> support the "common use case".

Blargh. Even though I see the point - most devs today are paid for
their work by this or that company so the way they work has more to do
with corporate work ethics than other - I still don't like it.

> It's up to community to support anything else. Freedom of choice has
> two sides: User choice and developer choice and there's nothing that
> can really be done about that but complain or fix it yourself in a
> way that doesn't break the "official" setup.

"Official" being subject to interpretation and point-of-view, ofcourse.
;)

Anyway, it's hard for me to decide if this do-it-yourself solution is a
bad thing or a good thing. On one hand, you have been shown the door
and told they don't want to play with you, but on the other, it's open
source, so you *CAN* fix it if you so desire.

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.