Rev 12783 has reverted what I had done for guile. I am curious why:

I had suppressed instructions for building pdf docs (using texlive!), and
simplified instructions to build and install html and txt doc, but had not
changed anything else (I had tested that with a DESTDIR install). It is really
curious to insist to put pdf doc installation instructions in the book, which
almost nobody will use (you need X and a pdf reader to see them, and by the
time you have that, you almost certainly have a browser and can read the html
doc). Anyway, all the docs come from the same texinfo files, and building pdf
docs is very standard anyway (once you have tex). Furthermore, it seems to me
that it is more educational to show how to use the configure machinery to have
the doc land into the correct dirs, instead of manually creating those and
copying the files into them.

Pierre