Le 26/02/2014 16:54, Gregory H. Nietsky a écrit :
> On 26/02/2014 11:29, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>> Maybe, when there is more time, we could start a related discussion
>> about having optional instructions in the book not distinct in any way
>> from mandatory ones. As you may remember, I use some kind of automation
>> for testing the book. If optional instruction removing cannot be
>> automated, it takes a lot more time to do it manually. OTOH, if I make
>> scripts for testing the book, I may as well end up testing my scripts
>> rather than what is written in the book. That's the main reason for
>> automation: extracting the current instructions as written in the book,
>> and testing them. If I have to modify manually the generated scripts, I
>> test my work (and it is much more time consuming).
>>
>> Of course, full automation cannot be achieved, and is not desirable, so
>> setting general rules is not easy.
> There is something that is often overlooked that there are individuals
> who use the "book" as a reference to get the low down on a individual
> package.
> if these are <place common distro here> users or simply experimenting
> with the package
> its a awesome resource. not all readers of the book are builders.
>
> its a lot easier reading the xLFS page than wading through configure
> --help/README/....
>
> Greg
I agree that in an ideal world, all the options, and all the ways to
build a package could be in the book. But reality is such that it is
impossible. Now, where is the limit. I think there is a common agreement
that only the "recommended" instructions are supposed to have been
tested by the editor. And there is a lot of testing involved when there
is an average of 2 or 3 new versions per day (notwithstanding the
extensive testing before a release). So it seems impossible to present
more than a few options on a page. Furthermore those may not have been
tested. And I think the book is good as a reference if those options
show an uncommon way to do things, or a peculiarity specific to the
package. Building doxygen docs and/ot alternate formats of the docs is
pretty standard, and documented in the autotools. There is no much added
value in putting explicitly instructions for that, since a user can
easily figure them out. Actually building a 3Gb package (TeXLive) for
just testing building docs for a "small" utility seems just a waste of
time. I would not say the same about sendmail (see the other current
thread), which has a rather uncommon build and configuration system (I
would not say that it's easy, although I think everything is easy once
you know it...).

Pierre