Le 26/02/2014 01:47, Randy McMurchy a écrit :
> On 2/25/2014 5:26 PM, Armin K. wrote:
>> On 25.2.2014 23:54, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>>> Though I strongly disagree with your decision to remove the docs,
>>> the more important part of your commit is removing the work done
>>> by another editor without discussion. Another editor went to the
>>> trouble of adding the instructions to build and install the docs,
>>> and you just decide to remove it because you don't use pdf docs.
>> We have seen lot of that lately though and I really feel sorry.
> I'm not sure what Pierre was thinking. It could be that:
>
> 1) He doesn't realize that it was a block of instructions separate
> from the main body of instructions that readers can just elect not
> to perform.
>
> 2) He doesn't have a laTeX installation so he cannot test the
> instructions, and simply removed them.
>
> 3) He has a bit of dictatorship in him, and is adamant that folks
> use a browser to view HTML docs.

Maybe all three ;-)

Seriously, I have had my work reverted (or changed) several times and
never said anything. In this case, it was reverted just a few hours
after I committed it. I understand that I should have discussed that
before, but had no time, because of the hurry in tagging. Furthermore, I
have seen a lot of doc generation instructions disappearing (mainly
doxygen and pdf) in the past, without anybody complaining. In this
special case, docs were still built in .info, .html and .txt style, so
it makes a usable package. I am inclined to think that building more is
up to the user to figure out how to. Is it the aim of the book to show
all possibilities? If so, I think a lot more should be done... In any
case, I did not mean to punch anybody in the face.

Maybe, when there is more time, we could start a related discussion
about having optional instructions in the book not distinct in any way
from mandatory ones. As you may remember, I use some kind of automation
for testing the book. If optional instruction removing cannot be
automated, it takes a lot more time to do it manually. OTOH, if I make
scripts for testing the book, I may as well end up testing my scripts
rather than what is written in the book. That's the main reason for
automation: extracting the current instructions as written in the book,
and testing them. If I have to modify manually the generated scripts, I
test my work (and it is much more time consuming).

Of course, full automation cannot be achieved, and is not desirable, so
setting general rules is not easy.

Pierre