Thanks for helpful replies.

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> There is a *warning* on the HDParm page in BLFS that says:
> "Use with caution and make sure you know what you are doing."

> If you need to be asking the above questions to a support list,
> I'm not sure you qualify to the "make sure you know what you are
> doing" part of the warning. I've never used HDParm, but I wish
> you the best of luck in your investigation.

You are right. Ultimately I can afford to lose everything on this drive.
But I'm not sure all the options for hdparm are so dangerous that only
experts should ever use hdparm. And as a windows refugee who has spent
many hours getting into linux and LFS it's hard to settle for running
slower than windows.

ken at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

> (i) is this a SATA drive ?  If it is, you should be using libata
(under
> SCSI) in the kernel, and /dev/sda.

This is something I'd been wondering about and is probably my real
problem. Yes this is a SATA drive and that's all I have. My other linux
distro does recognise it as /dev/sda. I think my BIOS is clever enough
to handle it as an IDE which is why it works at all.

> (ii) check your kernel config - build in the chipsets that are present

> (both for ATA, and for SATA if relevant).  If in doubt, build in *all*

> the chipset-support options under ATA/ATAPI/ and similarly all the
SATA
> chipsets under scsi low-level drivers if you have SATA.  Finally,
ensure
> that you select 'Use PCI DMA by default when available' under
ATA/ATAPI/.

# CONFIG_SCSI_SATA is not set
I don't know how I missed this. I saw the others mentioned above and I'm
pretty sure they are correct.

>  In general, hdparm -t (or -Tt) is safe and sometimes worthwhile to
give
> a quick overview.

At present I get
 Timing cached reads:   2732 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1365.53 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   10 MB in  3.04 seconds =   3.29 MB/sec

So I'll compare it to what I get after I fix the kernel. I'll have to
alter /etc/fstab - everything else should be OK I think?

Thanks again
David