On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 22:40 -0700, Chris Burel wrote:
> ...After much trial and error, I tried installing hal 0.5.12rc1, which
> seems to have fixed the problem.  Now I get 143 devices listed by
> hal-devices instead of 5.

Missed your original post, sorry, but you've come up with the right
answer anyway.

You've hit one of a couple of problems in hal 0.5.11 that prevent it
from running unmodified on newer kernel and udev versions. Running the
0.5.12 candidate is the recommendation from the hal developers... I've
been doing so for about 5 months now without problem.

Simon.