Hi Jason,

If you are going to do that, then I would highly suggest you format the
drive to FAT or FAT32, although I'm not sure if the latter will still work
with Windows 98, although it might with SE.

Either way, there should have been a driver CD that came along with the
external drive, and in that CD there should be drivers for Windows 98, 2000
and ME machines.

I would suggest you install the drivers first, then plug the drive into the
98 machine, specifically in that order.

You may have to reboot your system before you plug it in, but I'm sure the
software you install will let you know.  In any case, whether it lets you
know or not, I would re-boot the system just to make sure the additions to
the registry took affect properly.

I would also find out if you specifically need the drive's software to
back-up the 98 machine, as you may have to get more accessible software,
possibly from the Jaws user's site in order to implement such a facility on
a 98 machine.

I'm not sure if the Windows back-up software, which can be downloaded
separately, will function on the 98 machine, but I have heard some wonderful
things about it's accessibility, so you may want to consider that as an
alternative, if the software on the driver CD isn't accessible.

In any case, you may have to resort to re-formatting the drive to FAT, if
only to make it more compatible with the older computer.

I would also suggest you check the documentation that came along with your
drive.  This should also be located on the driver CD, and hopefully, it'll
be in an accessible format, such as a text file, or tagged PDF file.

Let us know how it goes.

Victor
Co-moderator
Blind Movie Buffs List