Thank heaven she had a contract, even if she didn't have it checked
by a lawyer first.
The contractor should be carrying insurance. If there is such a thing
for the customer, I think the contractor should have to pay for it,
but that's my own half cent opinion.
Has she considered contacting the Better Business Bureau or a
consumer advocacy organization to help her?