I'm tossing back and forth the ideas of wood or paving stones.

I'm not too worried about being up a step from the rest of the floor.

And since it's storage space, I doubt code would require a window.

Thanks.

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dale Leavens
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:45 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Putting in a basement floor

A couple of suggestions depending on exact circumstances.

Is there an existing concrete floor in the rest of the basement you wish to
level up to? What is it's elevation. You probably prefer to have it similar
height. That might mean some excavation or some fill.

Now poured concrete nicely bedded on crushed rock and sand would probably be
ideal but without a window to access the area that would be a filthy job.
Maybe there is reason to insert a window for light, egress and of course to
allow access to the space for the installation of a floor.

Now as for elevation, I would suggest about three inches of sand base
leveled to the thickness of 18 inch or 24 inch pre-cast patio slabs
thickness below the present floor grade. Actually another quarter inch so
that the slabs can be tamped flat and secure. You would probably not go too
wrong to lay a film of poly on the earth before the sand. It might be
necessary to excavate some dirt first. Of course now you have hauled dirt,
sand and patio slabs through the house so, why not cement?

A pressure treated floor too will last longer than you are likely to need
it. You could get away with quite narrow joists if you sunk something like 6
by 6 treated timbers, one at each edge and a third down the middle. getting
them truly level before adding the joists would take some patience, again my
trick is to excavate a little deep then fill with crushed rock the bottom of
the trench and tamp the timbers down until level then pack around them with
more stone to keep them stable and drier. Now 2 by 8 or even 2 by 6 joists
on 16 inch centers would make a firm support remembering that the span will
be less than 6 feet.

If the footing timbers are above the grade a little you could even go to
engineered joists for further rigidity as they will be out of the mud then
apply decking as per usual. I understand that these days they glue the
decking down onto the engineered joists to produce a "monolithic" structure.

If the basement walls are cement block you might consider adding a window.
Modern code may require though that this be suitable for egress in case of
fire and that may be a larger window and well and more than you wanted.

Hope these are helpful ideas.

Dale leavens

If I was Han Solo I'd probably pet my wookie