>I will in fact go and try to collect it tomorrow. I will refuse to
>sign the copyright, asking only that I be allowed to read
>the paper document for 5 minutes and take notes.  I fully expect
>the librarians to refuse this request, in which case an interesting
>stand-off will occur.  I will let you know what happens!

Update on above.  Well, I arrived, and  made  my request.
It was refused, on the grounds that it would "set a precedent".

Apparently, because the photocopy was not the original
(whatever that means), they would have to "clarify"
whether  I could be allowed to read it.  Had it indeed been
the original, there would have been no problem in letting
me look at it,  or indeed even letting me photocopy the
article for my own use (but still, not my student's use).

So whatever it was that Julius Steglitz had to say about
carbonium ions in  1899 will go undiscovered by me for
at least for a few more days (or likely, weeks).

The librarians did seem agreed that if  I were to acquire a photocopy,
scanning it, followed by  OCR and then  eg OSCAR text mining would
constitute a gross infringement (punishable by god knows what).

I hasten to add this is all in a good cause.  The  Wikipedia entry on
carbonium ions mentions  Steglitz by name, but gives no detail
whatsoever.   My original intent was simply to expand upon that!
--

Henry Rzepa.
+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); +44 (0870) 132 3747 (eFax); [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).