At 17:29 +0100 10/9/07, peter murray-rust wrote:
>At 13:58 10/09/2007, Rzepa, Henry wrote:
>> >
>>>I will in fact go and try to collect it tomorrow. I will refuse to
>>>sign the copyright, asking only that I be allowed to read
>>>the paper document for 5 minutes and take notes.  I fully expect
>>>the librarians to refuse this request, in which case an interesting
>>>stand-off will occur.  I will let you know what happens!
>
>Henry,
>You may have seen that I have asked the BL to respond to my concerns that it
>is making things difficult - amplified by the fact that it sells my Open
>Access article for 25 GBP.

They probably justify this as a  "handling charge".

> If it comes down to a discussion of facts it may be useful if you can
> summarize your experience coherently rather than trailing through my blog.

coherent attempt follows

I am researching a historical chemical article; much of the relevant literature
was published
80-100 years ago.  Two years ago, many of the journals were physically
present on our departmental library shelves,. Now, along with other
institutional copies,
they are no longer on site, but in storage many miles away.  Currently, even
that storage has
no access, and I was told instead to request Inter library loans.  These take
on average
1 week to process  and are delivered as photocopies, to be collected at the
central
library desk.  Collection requires the reader to sign an agreement limiting
 this photocopy for their personal use, and not to pass the copy on to others
when they are finished with it,
not to make extra copies, to scan it electronically or to have it translated. I
feel this
restricts my ability to make full use of the science contained in the article.

I therefore requested (as a rather undesirable compromise)
that rather than sign this declaration,  I merely wished to
spend a little time reading it, make appropriate notes, and then return it to
the
library.  This request too was not granted.  I was told that instead,  I
should request that the original item (in this case a large bound volume of
a journal) be physically sent to me for loan.  During my period of the loan,
the above restrictions would not apply to this original version of the journal.
Of course, during this period of loan, the volume would not be available to
anyone else who might request it.
--

Henry Rzepa.
+44 (020) 7594 5774 (Voice); +44 (0870) 132 3747 (eFax); [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(Voracious anti-spam filter in operation for received email.
If expected reply not received, please phone/fax).